SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) is a technology that enables secure file transfers from one internet-connected computer to another. It's also really easy to automate and schedule SFTP transfers using a number of pre-existing tools and solutions.
Flatfile offers the ability to accept incoming files over a SFTP server that is hosted by Flatfile and connected to a Flatfile Workspace. Files uploaded to the SFTP endpoint will appear in the related Workspace, and must be reviewed manually to load the imported data into a Workspace Sheet.
- All files uploaded over SFTP will require a manual review including sheet selection, header row selection, and matching.
- We are exploring offering "file uploaded" webhooks that can alert your system(s) when a file has been imported into a workspace over SFTP, please contact us if you're interested in using this feature.
How to setup
- Reach out to your Flatfile representative to enable this feature on your account. There is no charge for using SFTP import.
- Navigate to the Workspace for which you would like to enable SFTP import, select "Settings" from the sidebar, and navigate to the SFTP settings tab
- Switch the "Enable SFTP Support" > "Active" toggle to "YES"
- This will reveal "SERVER URL", "USERNAME", and "PASSWORD", these are credentials that need to be input into a SFTP client
- Open an SFTP client, in this guide we'll be using https://cyberduck.io/
- Enter the values displayed from Workspace Settings into the SFTP client
- Connect to the SFTP server with the client, you should see an empty directory listing if you have not previously uploaded files using SFTP
- Upload a file (drag and drop from a Finder or Explorer window) and wait for the transfer to complete
- After a few moments, navigate to the Workspace files list. The newly uploaded file will be marked as SFTP under the "Uploaded By" column and is now available for processing
- Click "Select datasource" to begin the import process. This will take you through sheet and template selection, header row selection, and matching
- Submit the match selection and the data will be imported into the selected Workspace Sheet